How to Program a 1998 Cadillac Catera Ignition Transponder Chip Key
Step by Step How to Programming Instructions:
Programming with a Recognized Chip Key
To program a new key:
1. Insert the original, already programmed key in the ignition and turn to the key to the ON/RUN position.
2. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
3. Insert the new key to be programmed and turn it to the ON/RUN position within five seconds. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed.
4. Repeat Steps 1–3 if additional keys are to be programmed.
Programming without a Recognized Chip Key
Program a new key to the vehicle when a recognized key is not available. Canadian regulations require that owners see their dealer. If there are no currently recognized keys available, follow this procedure to program the first key. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete for the first key. The vehicle must be off and all of the keys you wish to program must be with you.
1. Insert the new vehicle key into the ignition.
2. Turn to ON/RUN. The security light will come on.
3. Wait 10 minutes until the security light turns off.
4. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
5. Repeat Steps 2–4 two more times. After the third time, turn to ON/RUN; the key is learned and all previously known keys will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining keys can be learned by following the procedure in “Programming with a Recognized Chip Key.”